Although the American concept of chemical engineering had been rejected in Germany until the 1960s, there was evidently a discussion about it and a trial to replace it there before World War Two. This paper will highlight German`s way to cope with the increasing need of chemical engineers in the 1920s and 1930s, focusing on the case of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (Technische Hochschule in Karlsruhe, KIT). During the time when American chemical engineering had begun and had been developed, various ways existed to compensate for the lack of chemical engineers in Germany. Efforts to find out ``a German solution`` were made both on the sides of chemists and mechanical engineers. On the one hand, a group of German chemists had organized the Fachgruppe fur Chemisches Apparatewesen (Fachema) within the Verein der Deutschen Chemiker (VDCh) in order to exchange experiences and to promote techniques in designing and building plants and equipment for chemical industries. On the other hand, there were also mechanical engineers with in the Verein der Deutschen Ingenieur (VDI) who worked to advance the Verfahrenstechnik (``processtechnique``). Corresponding to these efforts a course of studies for education in chemical engineering was set up in the KIT 1928. Considerable efforts to promote the cooperation between chemists and mechanical engineers were made in the 1920s and 1930s, but not to the extent that the American type of chemical engineering could be introduced. Moreover, even those who eagerly supported the cooperation did not believe that an American model should be adopted in Germany. They tried to solve the problem not by creating a new discipline as chemical engineering had done in America, but only by fostering the cooperation between chemists and mechanical engineers within the academic circles. In this regard they were still following the traditional German solution, although division between them was replaced by cooperation.