- virtual disaster *his almost death
- It virtually evaporated. He almost died.
- It was virtually impossible. He was almost dead.
- He spoke virtually inaudibly.
He was wounded almost fatally.
- I have almost no money left.
- It lasted almost until midnight.
- I bought almost the last copy.
We could mention the distribution of adverbials in an account for the ungrammaticality of the sentence (b). We have two classes of adverbs that can occupy different positions, in other words, have different distribution. Adverbs like obviously are S-adverbs, and hence can only be attached to an S-node. Adverbs like completely are VP-adverbs, and hence so can only be attached to a VP-node.